- Today marks the one-year anniversary of Steve Jobs’ death. Apple has a sweet tribute.
- Why some technologies fail and others succeed.
- “Raiders of the Lost Ark” in one GIF. Semi-related: Every no in Star Wars.
- Every drink on Mad Men.
- Maybe Star Wars was so full of no because most of the citizens in the galaxy were probably illiterate.
- Brent Schoonover posts about illustrating The Nerdery’s Tweet of the Week.
- Get a cheaper iPhone 5 charger by skipping the 30-pin adapter.
- What if every person on earth aimed a laser pointer at the moon, would it change color?
- Oh, for cute. A series of pop-culture paper dolls.
Tag Archives: Steve Jobs
If you have a little time (and tolerance for clunky writing) go read Forbes’ The real story behind Apple’s ‘Think Different campaign. The piece is written by Rob Siltanen who was the creative director & managing partner at TBWA/Chiat/Day. He not only pitched ‘Think Different,” but also wrote the rough draft of the script that became the iconic commercial.
“When the ‘Think Different’ campaign launched, Apple immediately felt the boost despite having no significant new products. Within 12 months, Apple’s stock price tripled.”
Apple is sharing some of the more than one million memories, condolences and thoughts emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. It’s a sweet and moving tribute to the Apple founder.
The Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal announced its annual rankings of fastest growing private companies in the Twin Cities and we’re super pumped to say we’ve made it for the fourth consecutive year! With 2010 revenue of $14.2 million and a two-year growth rate of 119% we came in at #11 on the 2011 Fast 50 List.
Kris Szafranski, The Nerdery’s director of software development, spilled the following beans regarding the company’s success to Biz Journal assistant managing editor Kim Johnson. Subscribers, take a look at what Kris had to say. Non-subscribers? You can head over to the News section for the full scoop.
Now, on with the links.
- Jason Kottke picks his favorite tributes to Steve Jobs.
- This is a good one too. Brian Kam formerly of Gizmodo, Steve Jobs was always kind to me or regrets of an asshole.
- This UX/UI t-shirt is totally badass.
- Unicorns and Wheels: Apples two types of products.
- Brands customers are most loyal to.
- The Cult of LEGO, a coffee table book for LEGO fans.
- In case you missed this earlier in the week, a father captures his son’s reaction to the big reveal in “Empire Strikes Back.”
- Cheese or Font, much more difficult than you’d expect.
Like the rest of the Internet we are saddened by the death of Steve Jobs and our hearts go out to the people of Apple and all those who knew Steve. We know all too well the pain of losing a leader too soon.
But, I really like the xkcd comic at the top of this post, especially the title text “There's always the hope that if you sit and watch for long enough, the beachball will vanish and the thing it interrupted will return.”
And then there’s this. Which is not an homage, but a commercial from my favorite Apple campaign. I still have one of the print ads that featured Bob Dylan from this campaign pinned above my desk at home.
- Steve Jobs resigned from Apple earlier this week, this tribute is the best, seriously go look at the pictures. Also 11 unusual ways Jobs made Apple the world’s most-admired tech company.
- The East Coast is currently freaking right out about Hurricane Irene. To partake in a little of their excitement, read How a hurricane gets named.
- The 115 best comics of all time.
- Old Navy hates apostrophes.
- The Social Media Intern.
- Web surfing helps at work. Duh.
Finally, I missed this last week after we were named Best Place to Work. Take a look at around 1:45.