As a Technology Evangelist at The Nerdery, I frequently visit with partners across the country to talk about different engagements and data to validate the implementation of new platforms and technology. I started to collect a mass of stats pertaining to many topics, including social networks. My hope is that providing this data will help you have a better understanding of how technology can be used as part of communication, business, and the human experience.
Social network usage is accelerating. Facebook is still the largest and most used network, but others are growing rapidly too. The majority of users are accessing these networks on their mobile devices.
- 52% of AddThis users save to Facebook and 14% to Twitter. – AddThis
- Sharing via mobile devices grew 6x in 2011. – AddThis
- Facebook usage accounts for 10% of all the mobile data iPhone users consume and 5% for Android users. – Mashable
- Today nearly 4 in 5 active Internet users visit social networks and blogs. Close to 40 percent of social media users access social media content from their mobile phone. – Nielsen
- 53% of active social networkers follow a brand and 32% follow a celebrity. – Nielsen
- The median number of Facebook friends is 401. – buffer
- Instagram is growing at over 2 million new users a month. – socialfresh
- Instagram grew from 1 million to 12 million users in 2011 alone. – Instagram
- Path acquired 2 million new users within 2 months of the launch of Path 2. – All Things D
- Pinterest had 12 million unique visitors in January 2012. A 56% increase over the previous month. – comScore