Popular Science has a delicious list of nerdery regarding sloppy science in Sci-Fi movies. Calling out movies like “Looper,” “Skyfall,” and “The Avengers” they rank the violations from mild to maddening. It’s a fun little list they got there.
Tag Archives: science
- Buzzfeed has a really great write-up on today, Friday, the one-year anniversary of Rebecca Black’s “Friday”.
- Oh Internet, a love song. “I can’t get by unless there is WiFi/is this a drug that I need?” Related: Future Hipsters remembering the good old days of the Interent: “When I told people I was a Community Manager they really didn’t understand what I was doing.”
- Nine lost treasures and why science wants them back: Moon Rocks, Peking Man, Nessie, Moon Trees, and more amazingness.
- Missed this yesterday? FBI releases Steve Jobs file.
- If you really hate someone teach them to recognize bad kerning.
- How Pintrest is changing web design.
- Inside Instagram, a teeny tiny company responsible for the App sensation.
- The most crushable video game characters.
- Naming things is hard. Just take a look at Thomas Edison’s lost of potential names for the phonograph.
- A kitchen table in Brooklyn becomes a school for coders.
- Good design doesn’t just mean minimalism.
- In case you’re not sick of the Internet’s favorite meat, tomorrow is International Bacon Day.
- Modern art memory game.
- Monsters of Grok: t-shirts for famous scientists in the rock band tradition (the Ben Franklin/Black Flag one is my favorite).
- Logos in Legotown.
- Always connected, a day in digital life, a pretty surprising infographic (at least for me).
- Sorry, I can’t resist. Star Trek chracter or Erectile dysfunction pill.
- Did Twitters’ first commercial have to be so crappy?.
- The lost art of design etiquette.
- 10 books to recharge the creative mind.
- The mean men of coffee advertising.
- Infographic: What’s the value of a new customer?
Put this iO9 post on 10 vestigial traits right into the “more you know” category (warning: beware if pictures of eyes and pulled teeth gross you out, this might not be a list for the weak-stomached or evolution disbelievers). Some of the traits are pretty obviously vestigial and common knowledge. Right, we all know there’s no reason for your appendix and wisdom teeth right? But I was shocked, shocked I say, to learn that your sinuses don’t seem to be doing much of anything besides swelling up and being painful come allergy season. Hmph!