- The origins of the word nerd, also the Knurd vs Nerd controversy.
- StarWars was released 35 years ago today. Celebrate with LEGO StarWars Pens or watching Hughes the Force a sort of StarWars/John Hughes mashup thing.
- Also: Dr. Seuss does StarWars.
- In honor of Towel Day The 42 best line from The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series.
- Minnesota Zoo logo sketches over at Logo Design Love.
- What your favorite Wes Anderson movies says about you.
- Meet the kid who lived at AOL HQ for two months.
- Wired has an interview with Chip Kidd and a preview of Batman: Death by Design.
- Okay, the Getty images stock photos movie is as adorable as everyone said.
Tag Archives: nerd pride
Forever Geek has been all over the completely cool baby books for nerds in the making lately. First they told us about the The ABCs of Geekdom, which is an adorably illustrated alphabet book.
And then there’s this totally great beyond words Star Trek Quiet Book (a quiet book, I learned, is a book you give your when you want them to be quietly occupied in public, genius).
Every year it just sneaks up on me, probably because every day is Nerd Pride day at The Nerdery. I can’t believe it’s Nerd Pride Day already! Yes, this is the day to let your geek/nerd/freak flag fly in honor of the 34th Anniversary of the release of StarWars.
So how will you celebrate? Eat some Ramen? Give your glasses a good polishing? It’s also Towel Day so maybe you will celebrate by partaking in some Douglas Adams. If you’re of the book nerd bent you can check out this list of Ultimate Nerd Fiction on Amazon (though I have to say the omission of Microserfs or JPod by Douglas Coupland is an egregious oversight).
You like stats? Over at Nerd Approved there’s an interesting survey on geek(nerd)dom that includes this stat: “Putting high school stereotypes to rest, Modis’ survey found that nearly twice as many people would prefer to be called a geek (41%) rather than a jock (22%).” Nice.
While tooling around the Internet looking for other Nerd Pride Celebrations, I spotted The ten sexiest fictional nerds (you can find the 206 sexiest non-fictional nerds right here). If you like your nerds animated, I caught the 11 biggest nerd heroes to have appeared on The Simpsons.
Happy Nerd Pride Day! May you get to indulge in your favorite nerdy activity without any teasing whatsoever.
That’s right, May 25th is Nerd Pride Day. Make sure to hug your favorite nerd, and maybe give him or her a cookie.
As you know, yesterday was International Nerd Pride Day. Unfortunately, this year Nerd Pride Day was usurped here in the US by Memorial Day. At The Nerdery, we’re okay with that, because everyday is nerd pride day here. But in the interest of education and spreading the pride to those who don’t get to inhabit this building, we’re presenting you with a list of our favorite (and therefore the best, right?) fictional nerds.
In no particular order:
- Doc Brown, “Back to The Future“
- Sylar, “Heroes“
- Hiro Protagonist, Snow Crash
- Tony Stark
- Chris Knight, “Real Genius“
- Mouse, “The Matrix”
- Holden Caulfield, The Catcher in the Rye
- Data, “Star Trek: The Next Generation”
- Scotty, “Star Trek”
- Wash, “Firefly”
- Grissom, “CSI”
- Jordan Cochran, “Real Genius”
- Bunsen Honeydew, “The Muppet Show”
- Lazlo Hollyfield, “Real Genius”
- McLovin, “SuperBad”
- Bean, Ender’s Game
- Mike, Tony, and Cynthia, “Dazed and Confused“
- Hubert Farnsworth, “Futurama”
- Bernard, Day of the Tentacle.
- Seraph, “Matrix Reloaded“
- Dr. Manhattan, Watchmen
- Neo, “The Matrix”
- Linus, “Peanuts”
- Geordi La Forge, “Star Trek: The Next Generation”
- Ray Arnold, “Jurassic Park“
- Brain, “Animaniacs”
- Jo, Little Women
Who’s your favorite fictional nerd?
You may not know it, but while we here in the states are celebrating Memorial Day, the wider world is getting out their lights and decorations for International Nerd Pride day on Monday. It’s great that everybody is getting on board, but we want to make it clear that around here, it’s Nerd Pride Day all year round.
Have a good weekend!