Tag Archives: Apple
- The history of April Fool’s day. I guess we get to blame the French for this one.
- An intro to metadata and taxonomies.
- Train your brain to boost memory.
- Errors in production, a nice gallery of oops.
- 36 of Apple’s most viral ads, in honor of its 36th birthday on Sunday.
- MythBusters by the numbers. 461 myths busted. 146 vehicles destroyed.
- The main failing of design school? Kids can’t think for themselves.
- When was Super Mario Bros released? Apparently there is some debate.
- Best Buy to close 50 stores.
- The gendered ad video remixer.
- The business case for investing in UI design.
- 10 most baffling moments in Lois Lane & Superman’s love life.
If you have a little time (and tolerance for clunky writing) go read Forbes’ The real story behind Apple’s ‘Think Different campaign. The piece is written by Rob Siltanen who was the creative director & managing partner at TBWA/Chiat/Day. He not only pitched ‘Think Different,” but also wrote the rough draft of the script that became the iconic commercial.
“When the ‘Think Different’ campaign launched, Apple immediately felt the boost despite having no significant new products. Within 12 months, Apple’s stock price tripled.”
- Hey! Don’t forget to sign up for next week’s free Facebook webinar.
- The Morning News’ Home for the holiday tech support will either make you laugh or cry or remind you of that time you shouted “you’re clicking wrong” at your sister while providing phone tech support.
- The Muppabet.
- Amazon has a nice Q&A with Neil Gaiman.
- Anil Dash: Facebook attacks the open web, becomes a badware site.
- What Ron Johnson learned from building the Apple Store. Basically, if you build it they will come. Eventually.
- From the EFF: Free speech is only as strong as its weakest link. Also, Battle for Internet freedom pits Hollywood against Silicon Valley.
- 10 internet memes that became commercials.
- If you’re looking to waste a large chunk of time, go on over to Supercut.org and get clicking. There’s a lot of good ones, but I really liked this the one featuring all the Holy. . . by Robin from the 60s Batman series. “Holy one-track bat computer mind!”
- Also, you should read The Video Remix ‘Supercut’ Comes of Age over on Wired.
- Apple’s 1983 holiday catalog.
- The pros and cons of the Internet (circa 1996).
- 60 years of Chevrolet speedometer design is much cooler to look at than it sounds.
- The 8 worst fonts in the world (and Comic Sans isn’t one of them).
- This was all over the Internet this week, and rightfully so. If you haven’t read novelist Mona Simpson’s A Sister’s Eulogy for Steve Jobs, you should. It’s beautiful.
- We’re pretty honored to be included in the Best HTML5 gallery.
- 10 nifty Google Easter eggs, for those of you who loved do a barrel roll.
- Check out Line 25′s Sites of the Week. We heartily approve.
- Popular video games transformed into short horror films.
- The Apple-fication of everything, about design standards and a beautiful thermostat. And if you’re still in the mood for some Apple design talk, take a look at Apple’s aesthetic dichotomy (which has a really good point).
- Google kills its other plus, and how to get it back.
- Settlers of Catan, the novel coming to a bookstore near you.
- Pictures from Hallomeme. Some of it’s pretty funny.
- Richard Stallman’s tour rider.
- Beer at work: A case for drinking on the job.
- Forrester urges IT to support the Mac.
Apple is sharing some of the more than one million memories, condolences and thoughts emailed to email@example.com. It’s a sweet and moving tribute to the Apple founder.
- Steve Jobs resigned from Apple earlier this week, this tribute is the best, seriously go look at the pictures. Also 11 unusual ways Jobs made Apple the world’s most-admired tech company.
- The East Coast is currently freaking right out about Hurricane Irene. To partake in a little of their excitement, read How a hurricane gets named.
- The 115 best comics of all time.
- Old Navy hates apostrophes.
- The Social Media Intern.
- Web surfing helps at work. Duh.
Finally, I missed this last week after we were named Best Place to Work. Take a look at around 1:45.
Sure, sure, I the big news about Apple today is about OS X Lion. You can skip right on over to Ars Technica for a ridiculously exhaustive and (incredibly long) review of the new OS. Or maybe it’s the minor hubbub about MacBooks being discontinued. While not the biggest Apple new today, the story about the fake Apple store in China is definitely the best. The sham is pretty good and the pictures are astounding.
- The definitive collection of video game cakes.
- Go look at Dear Photograph, it’s a very cool photoblog.
- One year of the moon in 2.5 minutes, a mesmerizing animation.
- Matt Groening’s 1989 Apple Brochure.
- 10 myths about introverts.
- Welcome to the Periodic Table of Elements, 114 and 116 (unofficially called ununquadium and ununhexium).
- If historical figures endorsed modern products.
- Facebook loses 6 million users.